Saturday, May 25, 2013

Being Grandma


Sorry, I've been such a slacker and haven't posted in several months. I think I've been too into perfectionism, trying to think of the "perfect" thing to post about.

I started this blog for 2 reasons: The first reason was selfish. I needed to write about my experience for my own sanity. I needed to get my feelings down on "paper", so to speak. The second reason was to get the adoption message out there. I hoped that other people would read it and see how positive adoption can be. I hoped to make a difference in someone's life who was considering adoption, both from the birthparent side and the adoptive couple side. I have now had almost 3000 people read my blog since I started it only 8 months ago. I hope I have touched at least one of those person's hearts to help them realize that adoption is truly a loving, and even joyful alternative. Thank you for reading my scattered thoughts and feelings!

About 2 months ago, I asked Mrs. Awesome if I could call Angel once a week. I told her I really want to be more a part of Angel's life. I wanted to establish a habit with her, so that she will know I love her and want to be there for her. I started calling her every Sunday. We usually talk on Google Plus so that we can see each other. My husband, or whoever else is around at the time, joins in with the conversation.

Talking to a 3 year old is not always as fun as it may sound. As many of you probably know firsthand, most 3 year olds are not very good phone conversationists. Angel doesn't say very much when I call her, and when she does I often have a hard time understanding what she said. There can be long periods of silence, or moments when I can't think of anything to say or do so I show her the dog or the cat or something, There was once that she wouldn't even stay in the frame of the computer camera to talk to me, so her parents were literally chasing her around with their laptop to get her to talk to me! It was pretty hilarious. Of course, I don't get hurt or mad when this happens. I understand. I just want her to know that I love her  and care enough to try to keep in contact with her. Hopefully, it will get better as she gets older (hopefully no one has to chase her around to talk to me when she's 16). I look forward to our call all week. I love seeing her cute little face on the screen, even if there's not much quality conversation. I'm grateful that Mrs. Awesome is so supportive of me doing this, and is willing to sit there and help her (and translate her gibberish when I need her to).

Recently, I found out that Mr. and Mrs. Awesome and Angel will be coming here for their family reunions in August, and they have set aside 5 days to just spend time with CJ and with our family! The best part about that though, is that at the exact same time period my own family reunion is happening. I asked them if they would go with us to my family reunion, and they said yes! I am so excited to have my family (my siblings, nieces and nephews) meet Angel and her adoptive family. Most of them haven't met Angel yet. I can't even express how excited this makes me! I can't wait to show her off to EVERYBODY!! We're also going to go camping with them in the same area as the reunion that same weekend. I get butterflies just thinking about it.

I've sent Angel several packages lately, with Easter and St. Patricks day clothes and toys. I also made her a little mini photo album of pictures of her with our family, and just some fun pictures we took of her. Then I bought a frame that holds 2 snapshots, and I put one photo of she and I, and one with my husband and her. I wish I'd taken a picture of it so I could remember what the words were on the frame, but it said something cute. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment